Saturday, November 20, 2010

Palm Dev Day NYC - PreConf Activities

I enjoyed the first day of the HP Palm WebOSDevDay.  It was enjoyable and a learning experience.  The food was good, the wifi not so much, but the people made the day awesome.  The facilities are nice too.

I spent time in talks about the webOS architecture, the PDK, webOS Internals, and managing Metrics for your application.   Since I do some C/C++ development already I'm looking forward to working with the PDK to see what I can leverage from it.  I started the day hoping to do some development, to work on an app or something of the like.  Sadly this was not the case.  This did not ruin the day at all though.

My favorite talk of the day was the webOS Internals talk by Rod Whitby.  I had heard of how  awesome the webOS community was, but today I learned to the extent.  I got to learn about how it came a long, how things were developed, and how Palm has embraced the community and its users instead of shutting them down like other companies would.  Since I use Preware, it was pretty kool to hear the history and meet Rob.

The best part of the day was the networking experience at the end.  Not only did I get to have free beer, in a mug I get to take home, but I got to meet a bunch of really cool people.  The webOS developers are all really cool and fun.  Everyone was nice, I got to spend time with the Precentral team as well as the infamous Geoff (@zhephree).  I was totally geeked out to be in the same building with them, let alone conversing with them.

The first day was great.  I look forward to tomorrow, as well as to meeting more developers and getting my first webOS app into the catalog.  I'm also hoping for a extra special treat tomorrow...

No comments: