Sunday, April 18, 2010

Cockpit-Like Focus

Yesterday I went out to get some new games for my 360 since I haven't gotten anything new in quite a while now. I picked up Need for Speed Shift, Gears of War 2, and Afro Samurai. Yes none of these games are really new, but they are new to me.

Trying out NFS:Shift a thought came to me. In the game you start off racing in the cockpit view. My older brother always preferred this view. I tend to rotate between it and one of the over the top views. The cockpit view is a little constraining and with all the gauges and dials it can be distracting.

Photo from NFS Website

The thing is when my brother talks about it, it allows him to focus. In the cockpit view you focus on what's in front of you and not what's behind or next to you. You pay more attention to your race and how you are racing and not everyone else. After giving it a try this morning for a couple races, I found this to be true. I occasionally glance over to the side or rear view mirror to check out what's going on, but for the most part I'm focused straight ahead.

This got me thinking. How could I apply this concept to my life? How do I restrict my focus to my goals and tasks ahead of me and not those behind and next to me.

I don't know the answer to this right now, but I'm going to actively try to find one for it.

No comments: